Thursday, January 20, 2005

We all passed the Roor a few times around the room. Then one of them -- I think it was "Josh" -- offers me a baggie filled with about a dozen bright orange ear plugs. I looked back at Josh the same way a dog looks at your dangly bits when you've got that awkward woke-late-and-trying-to-put-on-shoes-and-gargle moment. That is to say I remember my eyebrows going up, my head tilting and thinking "why is this person handing me earplugs?" Josh's face became instantly sympathic as if to say, "Poor, poor man. He doesn't know what's about to happen..."

The ONLY way this band could fail -- and this is without any sort of hype, Jesus, ESPECIALLY without hype -- is if they wanted to.

I don't care too much for Nirvana but I do respect what they did for rock. After about ten minutes of listening to these three guys, the idea popped into my head that I was witnessing the modern equivalent of being in Seattle during the summer of 1991, Nirvana's Bleach days.

I find them comparing favorably to Radiohead. And this is Mr. National Anthem speaking.

No comments: