Saturday, March 19, 2005

Regarding Terri Schaivo, Tom DeLay said, "If you did this to an animal, you would go to prison for a year and be fined $5,000."

Really. That's amazing! First, my dog doesn't tell me shit. Maybe Tom's dog tells him stuff, which puts him in very rare company. Son of Sam comes to mind. But I digress...

I didn't know that if my dog told me that he didn't want to live in a brain-dead state, and it came to pass that the dog was in a brain-dead state, then I could be fined 5,000 for putting it to sleep. That's weird because a friend of mine just told me she had to put down her cat due to an infection and ...gee willikers, I don't recall her saying anything about a fine or jail time.

So you see it's apples and oranges and even when you can line up the facts, his argument doesn't actually work.

One Congresswoman said that the subpoena was legitimate because Terri had information that was relevant to the situation. I wonder what information that is? I also wonder how a brain-dead woman is going to ...you know, add to the debate. The woman doesn't have a cerebral cortex any more. So her presence isn't really necessary is it?

What the Christ is wrong with these people? Can't they let others make their own choices about their own lives? What is this Faustian preoccupation with slapping their moral compass on everything in sight?

"The sanctity of life overshadows the sanctity of marriage," DeLay, told reporters Friday. "I don't know what transpired between Terri and her husband."

That's unfortunate, DeLay, given how you're all too happy to force yourself -- illegally -- on the situation. Take a science class, asshole.

Do they think nobody knew right from wrong before 4 BC? Civilization is pretty old, shitheads. It's time you got on the bus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shh, don't tell the Feds!

This is why a living will is so, so important.

Moe Blow said...

I actually agree with you on this. But two objections.

The first is financial. I don't have the money to hire a lawyer to do it and I'd guess 90% of the world doesn't either. I'm told that doing it yourself is about as good as not doing it at all.

Second is social. Like it or not, most people don't like thinking about their own death, much less planning for it.

There are a lot of intellient things people can do but don't. But you can't penalize people for not doing it. If (a) the husband says those were her wishes and (b) the courts don't find that he's lying and (c) the husband is allowed, under the law, to convey that sort of info then that's her decision.

This poor woman doesn't have the actual hardware to think or feel, so sayeth the doctors. Isn't the compassionate thing to do here -- even without her husbands input -- to let her go?

I agree with Ella. If I EVER wind up in a state where I cannot both comprehend my situation and communicate a course of action, and at least 3 of 4 experts in the field think there is an unlikely chance of the situation improving dramatically, then pull the plug.

Anonymous said...

I'd be inclined to agree with that.