Monday, February 21, 2005

On one hand, my opinion of George Bush went up a notch today.

On the other hand, my opinion of George Bush went down three.

Seems that an acquaintance of George Bush has been recording phone conversations with Bush, but not just recently. He's been doing this since Bush was governor of TX. The New York Times broke the story on Feb. 20th.

• Bush confided that he felt James Robison, a prominent evangelical minister in Texas, wanted him to "attack homosexuals." Bush refused, claiming he told Robison, "Look, James, I got to tell you two things right off the bat. One, I'm not going to kick gays, because I'm a sinner. How can I differentiate sin?" So he's an asshole and a lunatic, but at least he's consistent. Thumbs up for Bush. Yes, you read that right.

• In these tapes Bush also said, "This is an issue I have been trying to downplay. I think it is bad for Republicans to be kicking gays."

Sounds harmless. Unless you substitute the word "blacks" for "gays." How about immoral? Unethical? Evil? The trademark bigot-stradling politicans are known for?

I feel I can substitute "blacks" for "gays" freely here because sexuality is not a choice. I know this is an old argument because it's the very last foothold dogmatism has on cherished predjudices, but the question seems to have been settled.

Or, as Ella likes to put it: "If you think sexuality is a choice, go try and be gay for a day. Tell me how well you do."

• I was reading in ...some marijuana magazine about how Bush tacitly advised parents to lie to their kids about drugs. "The question is, have you learned from your mistakes," he said. "The answer is yes. If I were you, I wouldn't tell your kids that you smoked pot unless you want them to smoke pot. I think it's important for leaders and parents not to send mixed signals. I don't want some kid saying, 'Well, Governor Bush tried it'."

Maybe this is what Bush was thinking when he lied to the world about Saddam. After all, why let the fact that there were no WMD muddy the waters? Why send mixed signals? We know he's dangerous, so ...do whatever you need to in order to remove him. Including lying to the world. Thanks, Dad.

I mean ...the leader of the free world just admitted to being in favor of lying when the truth is inconvenient for the outcome you desire for fuck's sake!!

Do you suppose George has ever heard of Niccolo Machiavelli? ... Sorry, I'm getting sidelined here.

Oddly enough, the Bible doesn't say anything about smoking marijuana. It does, however, strongly criticize lying.

Proverbs 6:16-19 says, "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."

So if I understand correctly, so far as god is concerned, George is about on par with gays. He even gets bonus points for killing innocent Iraqi civilians by continuing the lie and heckling the UN. It's a goddamn hat trick!

Bush apparently doesn't the see the irony of his using marijuana and cocaine and then becoming the President of the United States. He worries that it sets a bad example. Maybe, but it's the truth. Suck it up, buttercup.

If it's all about growing up and realizing your mistakes, does that mean he advocates releasing all non-violent drug prisoners who say they've obtained that wisdom? If not, why doesn't he volunteer to turn himself in?

I admire George Bush for his conviction in the same way that I admire Manson for his. Consistency is a nice touch but it's the frosting, George, not the cake.

No comments: