Tuesday, December 28, 2004

What makes me all warm and fuzzy in my tummy is when I see Christians getting pissed about religion in the classroom. I've been saying this since I became aware of the debate; It cuts both ways. The reason people don't want your Christianity in their school is the same reason you don't want Islamic literature reading assignments.

Pick a side, Christians, then argue it consistently. Not just when you like the result or benefit from it.

On a lighter, observational note, a short story...

I work with a kid by the name of Tristan. One of the nicest kids you'll ever want to meet, though that's kind of irrelevant to the story. Turns out that he's one of the people being cut after New Year's. That's just how retail works. The people that sell, stay. Right?

So my boss had to break the news to him and apparently he took it kind of hard, asked if he could leave for the day. The boss agreed.

The next day Tristan called in as "snowed in." My boss was irked by this and commented that his absence just confirmed his decision to cut Tristan. Now...

Let me begin by saying this is not a criticism of my boss at all. He's one of the nicest bosses I've ever had. This is a commentary on our society in regards to labor. In fact I'll use the term "employer" instead of "boss" to avoid any confusion.

Tristan's employer told him that they would no longer need his services. There is no appeal for Tristan. A decision was made about our capacity for employees and Tristan didn't make the cut. Nothing personal and I doubt anyone would call their decision unethical. After all, both parties specifically entered into an "at will" employment contract. This means either could terminate the contract at any time.

On the other hand, Tristan is doing the same thing back to his employer. He owes exactly as much fidelity to them as they owe to him; none. How is deciding Tristan deciding he doesn't want to show up for work any more or less ethical or appropriate than his employer deciding that they don't need him to show up to work any more?

So why do we view Tristan's actions as unethical but we view the actions of his employer as nondescript?

The answer that occurs to me is that we still have a serfdom mentality. It's an underpinning of our society. Those with money have some intrinsic right to direct our lives that we do not have in return.

And that's why I'm pro-union.

No comments: