Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Some of you might remember that on 9/11 I captured about 3,400 blogs and newssites to save the reaction for posterity.

Around 2AM, breaking news hit that 12 of the 13 trapped miners had been found alive. Because of the transient nature of the web -- once the page is updated, the information is generally lost -- I have a weird preoccupation with capturing websites. So when the news hit, I took screenshots of a number of news sites.

This morning I woke to find that the news of the rescue was some sort of stunningly cruel miscommunication so I took screenshots of those same news sites again. It's surreal for obvious reasons. Almost like an "alternate universe" sci-fi story.

As far as I know I'm the only person who has something like this so I'm making them public. Inasmuch as I can offer the copyright, I offer these screenshots up to be freely distributable.

Here's the directory.

I'll set up a thumbnail page when I have the time.

No comments: