Saturday, November 20, 2004

I think I might have a job as a creative-type at a web development company, courtesy of an old friend ho tells me that she'll seriously bump my name and that I destroy, skill-wise, anyone in that dept. now. They're looking for design and programming skills (PHP, no less). I'd be kind of surprised if I didn't get it. Lexington. $32-38k/yr. That's 2-3x what I'm making now.

Long story short, I work at a Radio Shack. I normally clean up at sales jobs but there is one person working there who knows EVERYONE in town. Someone walks in for a cellphone, they ask for her by name. This week she has 8 cellphone sales (at around $27/ea ($216 total) added to her paycheck). I have precisely zero. In fact I haven't even had a sale to screw up this week.

Not to be a prick, but if you put her in any other store she'd fall flat on her face. She's a clerk. So clocking $7.63/hr is really driving me nuts because there isn't anything I can do about it.

Today I told my boss that I'd like to investigate going to another store post-holiday. He was surprised and asked why. I gave him a bullshit answer. He pressed the issue. I told him that he already knew why and that I wasn't bringing it up because I knew nothing was going to change. He agreed but stated that (a) it would have to be post-holiday (no problem) and (b) that it couldn't happen until he found a replacement for me. In other words, my fate is determined by something I have zero control over.

I don't fucking think so.

If I could make a list of the "Top Ten Sucky Things," someplace close to the top would be "going to bed when someone you care about is really pissed at you."

No comments: